Monday, April 2, 2012

Quotation Inspiration


“Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in square holes, the ones that see things differently. They are not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify them or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them, because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world...are the ones who do.”(Excerpt from an Apple commercial)

The first time I saw this I thought, “WOW…that kind of fits me”.  I have always felt I was a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.  Just about every aspect of my life has been that.  It isn’t that I dislike rules…I just wish that we didn’t need them.  I wish that people could simply learn to trust their instincts and do the right thing simply because it is the right thing to do!  Not for money, not for fame, not for credit but simply because it is the right thing to do. I am not sure what ever happened to the Golden Rule but it seems that we have somehow lost it! 

This whole diabetic alert dog thing…you have no idea how many people have told me I am CRAZY for thinking that self training a DAD can be done.  You have no idea how many have accused me of not playing by the professional rules (unwritten) that only dog trainers can do this.  I learned that that ANY competitive venue professional dog trainer will tell you that the stiffest competition comes from an over qualified amateur trainer.  Here is why…an amateur spends the time developing the relationship with their dog!  When a dog learns the job and then gives you their love and respect they find deep with in them the ability to give more, do more, and be more!

I firmly believe that I can take ANY dog handed to me and make them a better dog…but here is the problem if the OWNERS/HANDLERS do not commit to learning how their dog learns and thinks and if they do not practice this daily what happens is that the dog will work really well for the professional and not so much for the owner! I am not smarter than average. If I can do it I believe anyone can!   What I am is driven to know WHY!  What is the cause and effect and how can my actions change the effect?  What more can we learn? 

All of this also applies to my diabetes!  My diabetes doc thinks I am a whiz with this diabetes stuff…I am not.  I am driven to figure things out!  I refuse to lie down to things.  I know that diabetes is a disease where all of your best effort may not match the outcome. but I am going to die trying!  It is MY disease…not the doctors.  It is MY RESPOSIBILTY to figure out all of the things that work best for MY BODY.  The medical knowledge for the most part runs 10 years behind…the average GP spends a 2 week rotation in an endo clinic and they know more about my diabetes than I do living with it 24/7.  I don’t think so.  What has to happen is that we have to learn to work together as a TEAM.  Each bringing to the table the absolute best that we have to offer! 

It is the same with our dogs. We are a TEAM.  No one part is greater than the other. But if we don’t all do our share then it falls short! We must think outside the box to get the best results! 

If any of the above makes me a rebel or a misfit…I DON’T CARE!  I am going to keep on doing what I am doing as long as I am convinced it is the right thing to do!  Dare to live outside the box on all levels!

No comments:

Post a Comment