Friday, April 6, 2012

Health Haiku WTH!


Okay my first reaction to this assignment was very simple….WHAT THE H E DOUBLE TOOTHPICKS is a haiku…let alone a HEALTH HAIKU.  Looking this up on the web (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/haiku) I discover a haiku is “1. A Japanese lyric verse form having three unrhymed lines of five, seven, and five syllables, traditionally invoking an aspect of nature or the seasons.
2. A poem written in this form.”

I gave it a shot several times and the bottom-line is that this ISNT FOR ME!  I write poems…but this style absolutely does not fit how I learn or am!  So guess what IT AINT HAPPENING!!!!!!!

Hmmm, sometimes though this is how I feel about diabetes. It cramps my style and I want to scream THIS AIN’T HAPPENING.  Diabetes has a way of just messing with your head sometimes.  It doesn’t want to play by any sort of order or rules. It is a disease where very often your EFFORT does not equal the OUTCOME.   Some days you can do EVERYTHING that you have ever been advised to and still you run 50 points higher!  There is no rhyme, no tempo, and no cadence. 

This is where I fall back on my dad’s words “It is what it is, and it will be what it is”.  I have done my best, I have put forth great effort and I fell short. I now simply have to ride it out and see where it takes me!  I then have to take it ONE SET OF NUMBERS AT A TIME.  No focus back, no focus forward, it is just simply being with it.  It is not giving up or even giving in to it, it is just waiting patiently till the disease decides to play nice again.    I do my part to the best of my ability but then I have to let go of trying to control the outcome.

If I don’t do this I drive myself crazy!  I will sink into despair and self-pity.  Depression will surround my every move, but if I can keep my head wrapped around that I have done my best and that is all any of us can truly do then it helps me to not blame myself!  I shouldn’t have eaten this or that.  I shouldn’t have done that much exercise. I coulda/shoulda/woulda myself to death!

I have but 2 words for those days…DIABETES SUCKS!  Then I say to myself  “LET IT GO…you did your part”.   

We can shoulda/woulda/coulda all day long with this disease or for that matter any disease….sometimes we just have to know WE DID OUR BEST and let it go!

No comments:

Post a Comment